Friday, April 16, 2010

The Long and Winding Road

I did something really cool last Sunday. Last Sunday, I trod the path that four great men had trod before me. Last Sunday, I went to Abbey Road.

We arrived at music's most iconic crosswalk early, hoping this would minimize our chance of getting struck down by an angry Brit, sick of dealing with stupid tourists. Then we set about making a game plan, so as to maximize our time in the middle of the road.

We decided that Kaylee and I (acting as George and Paul) would stay on one side, while Lisa and Emily (acting as John and Ringo) would start on the other, therefore allowing us to get into position all the quicker. After studying the picture the night before, we knew that George (Kaylee) had arms down and left foot forward, Paul (me) had arms down, right foot forward and was barefoot, Ringo (Emily) was the same as George, and John (Lisa) had hands in his pockets and left foot forward. Knowing our parts we walked into position. And failed, as some of the cameras malfunctioned. But we persevered and faster than you can say I am the Walrus we tried again and were successful. Below is our mess up, finished product, and the original, as well as me signing the wall.









Afterwards we signed the white wall outside of Abbey Road studios, and continued on our day, already having had a fantastic morning.

The day only got better. The weather was gorgeous, and we decided to take advantage of this and picnic in St. James Park. There were flowers blooming, trees, dogs, birds, and...a mugging.

After witnessing the mugging, we decided to continue on our day. We made a pit stop at Buckingham Palace and then walked down the Mall to Trafalgar Square, where we attempted to climb the lions surrounding Admiral Lord Nelson. Kaylee and I both made it onto a lion, which turns out was much harder to climb than the Tiger in Tiger Plaza.

We also made our way down to the Cavalry Guards, which are the only guards you can still stand by to take a picture. Kaylee, Jackie and I decided to get our Mary Kate and Ashley on, and well, here is the result: (Video courtesy of Jacquelinne Mejia)



With only 3 more weeks in London, we figured it was time to do some souvenir shopping, and I bought probably the coolest present to myself ever: tube boxers.

It was, in a nutshell, one of my favorite days in London. And, since the volcanic ash is covering all of Europe, I now get an extra weekend to explore my city before I leave 2 weeks from today. And the week that proceeded it was also fantastic, with Grace also being in town all the way from Tubingen. Some highlights of the week include my third time seeing the Tower of London, Legally Blonde, and Platform 9 and 3/4. Having friends in town always gives me such a good excuse to sight see and revisit places that would be pathetic for me to visit without having an excuse. Ok, so three trips to Kings Cross Station may be a bit pathetic...anyway, here are some picture highlights of that week:









Also a side note, to anyone who has commented on my blog, I have tried to write back to you, but my technology skills are so inept that I seem to not be able to figure it out. But I love reading your comments, and I don't want anyone think I am ignoring you!

Only 2 more weeks of adventures to chronicle, I can't wait to see what London has in store for me.

Cheers!
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment