Monday, April 5, 2010

MAM+Tree+London=Fun

Whenever I have been asked the question, "Are you homesick?" I have had trouble answering. While I miss both my Crestwood and my Columbia homes, I am more "peoplesick" than homesick. While some would argue it is the same thing, I would beg to differ. I am completely obsessed with London and would never leave if I didn't miss my friends and family and dog back home.

Now I have luckily been blessed with incredible flatmates who without I would have had a much less fantastic time, and whose shot page I eagerly anticipate. Still, I couldn't help feel like a small human on Christmas Eve the night before my roommates from Columbia came to see me.

Seeing Megan and Marissa in Heathrow was so incredibly surreal, and quite a few tears were shed upon their arrival. After sharing a living space for 1 and 1/2 years with them and creating nickname (MAM) for yourselves, being separated is difficult!



However, we immediately went back to our old ways, and began exploring London together. In that first day alone we went to service at St. Pauls, visited Platform 9 3/4, got free Hummingbird cupcakes, ate fish and chips and cider, and rode the London Eye, which I had yet to do.

After a fun Monday morning featuring a return trip to the Tower, and Megan losing her shoe in the Thames (RIP Steve Madden flat), I went to class and sent MM off to museums, tea, and shopping. Then we visited Ye Olde Chesire Cheese, one of the oldest pubs in London that was once frequented by Dickens, and was reminiscent of the Leaky Cauldron.

Tuesday found me at work, and when I returned I was reunited with yet another friend, the always spectacular Megan Decker, who is studying in Manchester for the semester. That night we went to see Wicked, and then off to O'Neills for a night on the town before riding the (K)Night Bus home.

Wednesday I once again had to work, and met the girls back at the flat before once again going to Earls Court Pub for more fish and chips. We then proceeded to spend the entire night staying up and chatting, much as we did in Columbia. All too soon it was time for me to leave for Germany, and I had to bid farewell to my visitors.



Seeing my three friends has made me start to look forward to going home, where before I was dreading it. That combined with my increased cravings for crab rangoon and TiVo will make my homecoming a wonderful one I believe. However, I still have 25 days left, which includes visits from Grace and Kaylee, a trip to Nice, and of course, finding the ever elusive Harry Potter actor. 25 days. Looks like its time to stop writing and start doing.

Cheers! (And a special AOT for this post)
Allison

1 comment: